Friday 5 February 2010

Potential:

If I had a dollar for every time a teacher told me that I had a lot of potential, I would not have to work; but obviously that isn't the case. I still like to think that I have a lot of potential, but hope that I am fulfilling more of that potential than when I was a student and not a teacher telling students that they have a lot of potential.

Today was one of those days that I could have done without. It wasn't a particularly busy or demanding day, but my students definitely were not living up to their potential! The day started with reports of cemetery vandalism, continued with a pen-knife incident, and ended with a disruptive racist comment. Despite these incidents, I do feel that my lesson objectives were achieved and learning did take place in my classrooms, but I am mentally exhausted; I am frustrated at students who make terrible choices; and I am disappointed at how cruel some kids are to each other.

I suppose I shouldn't be surprised at the behaviour I see, but when it all boils down, I am an optimist. I believe that these students have immense potential to make the world a better place, and I believe wholeheartedly that schools have the potential to influence their kids to achieve success in all areas of life.

No comments:

Post a Comment